Car MOT Manual 2012 onwards
InformationThis inspection applies to all vehicles first used on or after 01 October 1937.
If the dial glass is cracked, it is not a Reason for Rejection, providing:
• there is no possibility of misreading the speedometer or
• there is no possibility fouling of the indicator needle or
• the cracked glass does not create a safety hazard.
A Tachograph is an acceptable alternative to a speedometer providing it satisfies the requirements of this inspection.
Method of Inspection1. Check that a speedometer is fitted.
2. Check the condition of the speedometer.
3. Check that the speedometer can be illuminated.
Reason for Rejection1. Speedometer not fitted.
2. Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or the dial glass broken or missing.
3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated.