Car MOT Manual 2012 onwards
Body, Structure and General Items - 6.2 Seats and Doors
Every effort should be made to lift folded seats to facilitate their inspection however, this is not mandatory where it would be unreasonable, such as due to the presence of heavy, fragile or numerous passenger effects or other articles. When checking the drivers seat adjustment it is not necessary to check that the seat can be secured i n all possible positions.
In the case of electrically adjusted seats, it is not necessary to check that any memory position function is working.
The inspection of doors does not apply if no drivers or front passengers doors were fitted as part of the original design of the vehicle.
A lack of door handles because of original design characteristics or specialist modification is not a Reason for Rejection provided the door can be latched securely in the closed position. Reasons for Rejection regarding the opening of doors does not apply to:
• goods vehicles modified for the carriage of high value cargoes such as armoured security vehicles
• passenger doors if the door aperture has been permanently filled as part of a specialised customisation provided that there are no obvious aperture gaps.
1. Check the drivers and all passengers seats for security.
2. Check that the backrests of all seats front and rear can be secured in their normal upright position.
3. Check that the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions.
1. Open and close the drivers and passengers doors. Check that:
a. each door latches securely in the closed position
b. the drivers and front passenger doors can be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle
c. any other passenger doors can be opened from outside the vehicle.
2. Check door hinges, catches and pillars for presence, security and condition.
C. Passenger Entrance and Exit Doors Additional checks for Class 5 only
1. Check passenger compartment entrance and exit doors for damage and deterioration.
2. Check the operation of the emergency and remote controls if fitted for any passenger entrance or exit door.
3. Check the operation of any passenger door open warning device if fitted.
D. Emergency Exits Class 5 only
1. Open and close any emergency exit doors and/or windows. Check that each:
a. can be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle
b. latches securely in the closed position. Note: This inspection does not apply to roof hatches and break glass emergency exits.
2. Check the presence of the hammer in the case of break glass emergency exits.
3. Check the presence and legibility of Emergency exit signs identifying all emergency exit doors and windows.
2. A seat back that cannot be secured in the upright position.
3. The drivers seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended.
a. A drivers or any passengers door does not latch securely in the closed position
b. a drivers or front passengers door cannot be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle using the relevant control in each case
c. a passenger door cannot be opened from outside the vehicle using the relevant control.
2. A door hinge, catch or pillar missing, insecure or deteriorated to the extent that a door cannot be readily opened or closed.
1. A passenger entrance or exit door damaged or deteriorated so that:
a. its function is impaired
b. it is likely to cause injury.
2. A passenger entrance or exit door emergency or remote control inoperative.
3. A passenger door open warning device inoperative.
1. An emergency exit:
a. cannot be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle from the relevant control in each case
b. does not latch securely in the closed position.
2. A missing break glass emergency exit hammer.
3. An emergency exit sign missing or illegible.