Car MOT Manual 2012 onwards
Seat Belts and Supplementary Restraint Systems - 5.3 Seat Belt Installation Requirements Class 4A 5A approved VTS only
Vehicles fitted with more than 8 passenger seats and first used before 1 October 2001 may be subject to a seat belt installation check.
This can only be carried out by full Class 5 authorised test stations. It is essential therefore that you correctly identify vehicles that require a seat belt installation check.
A vehicle will require a seat belt installation check if:
• it has more than 8 passenger seats fitted see note below and
• it has more than the legally required number of seat belts fitted as per charts on pages 5 to 7 of Section 5.1 and
• there is no proof that all the seat belt anchorage points have been type approved see page 3 or
• there is no proof that a seat belt installation check has been previously carried out this will be by a previous VT 20 being produced at time of test showing that the vehicle has had an installation check or
• extra seat belts have been fitted since a previous MOT installation check Compare the number of seat belts now fitted with the number shown on the last MOT certificate.
Note: If it is obvious that the vehicle is capable of carrying more than 8 seated passengers for example, by having wheelchair tracking/clamps fitted the presenter of the vehicle should be asked how many passengers the vehicle carries in normal use to establish the seating capacity.