Car MOT Manual 2012 onwards
5.3 Seat Belt Installation Requirements Class 4A 5A approved VTS only
InformationSeat Belt Installation Requirements Class 4A 5A approved VTS only
Vehicles fitted with more than 8 passenger seats and first used before 1 October 2001 may be subject to a seat belt installation check.
This can only be carried out by full Class 5 authorised test stations. It is essential therefore that you correctly identify vehicles that require a seat belt installation check.
A vehicle will require a seat belt installation check if:
• it has more than 8 passenger seats fitted see note below and
• it has more than the legally required number of seat belts fitted as per charts on pages 5 to 7 of Section 5.1 and
• there is no proof that all the seat belt anchorage points have been type approved see page 3 or
• there is no proof that a seat belt installation check has been previously carried out this will be by a previous VT 20 being produced at time of test showing that the vehicle has had an installation check or
• extra seat belts have been fitted since a previous MOT installation check Compare the number of seat belts now fitted with the number shown on the last MOT certificate.
Note: If it is obvious that the vehicle is capable of carrying more than 8 seated passengers for example, by having wheelchair tracking/clamps fitted the presenter of the vehicle should be asked how many passengers the vehicle carries in normal use to establish the seating capacity.
Method of Inspection
Reason for Rejection