Car MOT Manual 2012 onwards
- 2.6 Rear Suspension and Wheel Bearings
The checks in this sub-section must be carried out:
• with the vehicle over a pit or on a raised lift, and
• the rear of the vehicle jacked up so that ideally the suspension hangs freely with both wheels clear of the ground.
Other testable items may be more easily examined while the vehicle is jacked, particularly when the rear suspension is hanging freely.
Reason for Rejection 1 does not apply to a vehicle where it is not possible to rotate the wheel due to a design characteristic or its drive configuration.
2. Rock each wheel by hand or when appropriate with a bar in the wheel, and check the movement of the wheel relative to the axle to assess the amount of play in the wheel bearings.
Note: It may be an advantage to use an assistant when carrying out this check.
2. Excessive play in a rear wheel bearing, indicating severe maladjustment or wear.