Set Up an MOT Station Be a Nominated Tester Be an Authorised Tester Quality Control Tester FAQ's Nominated Training Authorised Requirements MOT Manager Training Courses Refresher Sample Questions

Become a Authorised Tester


This guide will help you understand the legal responsibilities of an Authorised Examiner (AE). An AE is an individual, partnership or company authorised to offer an MOT testing service.

It describes the premises requirements and types of equipment needed to operate as a vehicle testing station.

This guide also explains how you can apply to the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) for AE status, as well as what to do if your application is refused or your status is withdrawn.

What is an Authorised Examiner?
An Authorised Examiner (AE) is an individual, partnership or company authorised by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) to offer an MOT testing service. The AE is also responsible for ensuring that test equipment and facilities are regularly checked and are being well maintained.

In addition, the AE is responsible for making sure that the Nominated Testers (NTs) - those doing MOT tests on their behalf - have the relevant training and experience, undergo monthly quality control checks and attend the five-yearly refresher training.

When VOSA grants AE status, it does so only to the legal entity that has applied. This means that if the company is reconstructed in such a way that it is given a new company registration number, or if in a partnership a partner leaves or joins, then new authorisation may be required.

It is also important to realise that AE status does not transfer with a business. If you are buying an existing MOT station you need to apply for AE status in your own right.

Who can apply and how to apply to become an Authorised Examiner

Authorised Examiner (AE) status can be granted by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) to an individual, partnership or company that meets the requirements to carry out MOT tests.

To apply to become an AE, you will need to submit a VT01 form to VOSA. However, before you complete it, it is important to read and understand the supporting documents. Once you have completed the VT01, you will also need to provide other documents to further support your application.

We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept Cookies