Authorised Testing Facility (ATF) MOT Test Centres
Authorised Testing Facilities in UK
The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) is responsible for bus and lorry testing across Great Britain. To enable VOSA to take Testing Closer to the Customer, privately owned and/or operated sites can be authorised to host testing using VOSA testing staff.
- deliver testing at the ATF site, rather than at a VOSA testing station
- offer a 7 hour on-site testing period with the option of an additional 3.5 hours (in certain circumstances VOSA may offer a single 3.5 hour session)
- charge the statutory fees for tests undertaken (subject to a minimum reservation fee) using a pre-funded account.
- provide and maintain facilities and equipment to enable VOSA to conduct testing at the ATF
- apply in advance for testing at their site for the time they require, either annually or on an ongoing basis (subject to availability)
- have a pre-funded account to pay for testing at the ATF site
- choose whether to test their own vehicles only or allow access to the site for testing of third party vehicles have the right to charge a pit fee to third parties using the ATF site for testing (subject to a cap)
Requesting and agreeing times for testing with VOSA
ATFs can apply to reserve examiner time for examiners to attend to carry out testing, by outlining the required date, start time and testing duration. VOSA (dependent upon the availability of staff) will confirm a schedule for providing examiners for testing at the ATF.
ATFs can submit this request using one or more of the following options:
- At the point of signing the ATF Contract - during the application process the ATF can outline when examiners are required for testing
- One year in advance - ATFs can submit a request for examiners each September, to take effect from the following January
- On an ongoing or rolling basis - a short term booking process that allows the ATF to request examiners, generally on 3 working days request, for a period of 2 months in advance.
When making a booking request the ATF applies for fixed blocks of time or Testing Periods . Each Testing Period is made up of 3 hours and 30 minutes of testing.
To book a day of testing the ATF requests 2 Testing Periods. This can be extended to 3 Testing Periods for a longer day. VOSA may in some circumstances also consider examiner availability for a single Testing Period (3.5 hours for a given day).
Subject to a fair usage policy, the ATF can cancel a Confirmed Reservation if more than 7 days notice is provided and will not be liable for any cancellation payment. If more than 7 days advance notice is not received, then VOSA will deduct and keep the Reservation Fee. The Reservation Fee is deducted from the ATF s Pre-Funded Account 7 days before the agreed testing date.
If an examiner arrives at the ATF site more than 2 hours after the agreed testing start time or does not show at all, the ATF will receive a cancellation payment from VOSA, which is equivalent to the Reservation Fee. If examiners do not show at all, VOSA will also return the Reservation Fee and offer a replacement Testing Period within 3 days of the cancelled Testing Period.
Paying for tests
The ATF needs to set up a pre-funded account with VOSA to pay for all tests undertaken at the site. 7 days before a test, VOSA will take out a Reservation Fee of £3902 for each Testing Period booked. Following the day s testing any additional test fees over and above the Reservation Fee will be deducted.
Anglesey Angus Argyll and Bute Avon Ayrshire Bedfordshire Berkshire Berwickshire Bridgend Buckinghamshire Caerphilly Cambridgeshire Carmarthenshire Cheshire Clwyd Cornwall County Durham County Tyrone County Wicklow Cumbria Denbighshire Derbyshire Devon Dorset Dumfries and Galloway Dumfries and Galloway, Dunbartonshire East Lothian Essex Falkirk Fife Flintshire Glamorgan Gloucestershire Greater London Greater Manchester Gwent Gwynedd Hampshire Herefordshire Hertfordshire Highland Inverness-shire Isle of Wight Kent Lanarkshire Lancashire Leicestershire Lincolnshire Merseyside Midlands Midlothian Moray Newport Norfolk North Lanarkshire Northamptonshire Northumberland Nottinghamshire Orkney Oxfordshire Pembrokeshire Perth and Kinross Powys Renfrewshire Rhondda Cynon Taff Ross Ross and Cromarty Roxburghshire Shetland Islands Shropshire Somerset Staffordshire Stirlingshire Suffolk Surrey Sussex Teesside Torfaen Tyne and Wear Warwickshire West Glamorgan West Lothian West Midlands Wiltshire Worcestershire Yorkshire